The Hadrian Hotel is set amongst the rolling hills and Valleys of Northumberlands North Tyne, within a mile of some of the most dramatic parts of Hadrians Wall. Wall Village, with a population of around 350, lies four miles north of the abbey town of Hexham and almost on Hadrian’s Wall.
The parish church of St Oswald in Lee is one and a half miles from the centre of Wall village and is built on the site of the battle of Heavenfield. In AD635 King Oswald of Northumbria (later St Oswald) rallied his army to fight and scatter the troups of Cadwalla. He personally set up a Christian cross and summoned his men to pray to God for victory – Cadwalla was defeated. Thus, Christianity was reintroduced to and established in the North. Bede records in A History of the English Church and People that monks from Hagulstad (Hexham Abbey) visited Heavenfield every year on 5th August to ‘keep vigil for the benefit of Oswald’s soul…’
The church of St George was built in the centre of Wall village in 1897 thus making it easier for villagers to attend services, most of which are now held at St George’s or in the Methodist chapel which was built in 1868. In 1848 Joseph Parker (of City Temple, London) had preached on the village green, thus promoting a Christian presence which still thrives today under the guidance of Wall Christian Council.
Wall has its village green bounded on all four sides by houses and three farms. The three exits from the green could, at one time, be gated thus allowing cattle and sheep to graze on the green and the village to be defended against Border raiders. A pant, dated 1858, in the centre of the green was the original water supply and is fed by a stream flowing from the fell to the east of the village. The ruin of a Bronze Age camp can be seen at the top of the fell.
Many of the houses and farms date back to the 16th and 17th centuries whilst there is also a small estate of modern houses built in 1989. Town Farm boasts a listed Dutch barn whilst there are listed houses which were once bastles. The bulk of the village is now a conservation area.
Food Standards Agency national food hygiene rating scheme.
The Hadrian Hotel was awarded the maximum 5 stars out of 5 for food hygiene.